Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mizzou Tiger: Thru and Thru

Happy Holidays prospective Mizzou Tigers!

Once you pass through the columns during the Tiger Walk during the first week of classes you have officially been initiated as a University of Missouri Tiger. This status does not change when you go home for break or when you graduate; it is something you carry with you throughout your life.

This Thanksgiving break I was able to bring my Mizzou spirit home with me in two ways: by bringing a fellow Tiger home, an international student named Michelle, and when I went to the University of Kansas vs. University of Missouri game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

I met Michelle my first week of school, when I was waiting for my Geology class to begin. I started chatting her up and quickly learned that she had only been in the United States for two weeks! Since then, I’ve “adopted” her and introduced her to all sorts of “American” activities. My friends and I have taken her out to eat, pumpkin carving, and even out to some parties! While I’ve had the opportunity to expose her to American culture, she’s taught me so much about China. Her first hand experiences really offered an entirely different perspective than what the media presents. The open dialogue we were able to have really enlightened me to how they view their policies and traditions.


Lauren, Michelle, Rachael, and Annica. We ordered Tiger Takeout (a delivery service for restaurants that don't deliver) and had a dance party in our dorm room! Michelle had never gotten to do this back home.

This was Michelle's first pumpkin carving experience! Michelle stole the show when she carved her Chinese name in the pumpkin.

Because Michelle did not have the opportunity to go home for Thanksgiving break, I invited her home with me. We put up Christmas lights, something she had never done before, and I also taught her a lesson in smuggling candy into the movie theaters.

Renowned for its world-class education, Mizzou draws in many international students. I highly recommend getting to know them because of their unique experiences. I have found it fun to share my past-times with her, and equally as enjoyable to hear about her life. Another bonus, Michelle makes great authentic Chinese food; something China Star just can’t compare to!

Now if there is one other thing Mizzou is known for besides its internationally recognized education, is its bitter rivalry with University of Kansas. On campus it is referred to as kU because students at Mizzou do not recognize University of Kansas is not a proper noun and as such it does not need capitalizing. The animosity between KU and Mizzou makes up the second oldest collegiate rivalry in the nation and whether it is football or volleyball, sports are the battleground for this bitter acrimony.


Marching Mizzou at Arrowhead Stadium. If you join the band you get to travel with the football team to big games.

Due to the intense nature of the rivalry, the meeting of the football teams takes place at Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Chiefs, in Kansas City. The game was originally called the Border War, but after controversy over the violent nature evoked by ‘war’ it was changed to the Border Showdown.

Despite the name change, fans from both sides come early Saturday morning out for blood. Even though the stadium holds almost 80,000 fans, the stands were packed full. You could see a clear divide between the fierce black and gold Tigers and the unsightly clashing of the red and blue colors of the Jayhawks. Even walking around the stadium, I could feel the looks from the enemy!


Rachael on Color Guard in front of 80,000 adoring fans!

Tiger supporters proved they were anything but fair-weather fans. The forecast was terrible, but even with freezing cold temperatures and sleet raining down Tiger fans stayed on their feet cheering loudly. While victory may have eluded us this year most fans stayed till the end.

The game and having Michelle home for the break made me realize how large my Mizzou family is. We are each part of the Tiger pack, coming together for a collective cause, whether it be sharing pleasant family traditions or cheering against kU.

I hope no kU grads are reading this!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I loved that last picture. That was funny. Please tell Michelle Ne-how and Happy Thanksgiving!