Thursday, March 5, 2009

Workin' 9 to 5 (or maybe just 10 - noon)

I’m willing to bet that you and your parents have had this discussion at some point and it still may be unresolved: to work or not to work. With expensive tuition (especially out-of-state) and high interest rates, working may seem like the right road to take. That way you prevent taking out an extra loan, maybe get some spending money, or just save up. However, on the flip side, you’re in college to learn and typically that’s priority number one. Whether you choose to work or not is definitely a personal decision and dependent on financial need, credit hours, and involvement I’ll give you some possibilities to consider.

Work-Study

This seemingly simple program has so many misconceptions that it’s difficult to get to the truth. While I STRONGLY suggest you consult your financial aid representative, a.k.a. your Best Friend Forever (BFF), I’ll give an overview of how Work-Study actually works.

You must income qualify for Work-Study, which comes from filling out your FAFSA. There is usually a limit to how much you are awarded as well. For some, that is as much as they will work and once they reach that earning potential they stop working. Others will continue to be paid by the university. It depends on the department you select and if paid student workers are a part of their budget.

The name comes from the idea that you can work and study, but not at the same time. Don’t assume that you’ll just being doing some desk job and can have your textbooks out during your shift. Typically, that’s not the case, and usually you won’t want it to be.

Work-Study can be a great way to gain informal experience. There are jobs all over campus that you will be able to select from, but, in my opinion, you should choose something relevant to you. (For example: I am currently working in the Strategic Communications department in the Journalism School. I’m gaining practical skills that I can actually use on a resume. My friend is working in the Journalism Dean’s Office and making good contacts.) This can be an enhancing experience, but it is what you make it. I have other friends who chose jobs that didn’t fit them, and aren’t having as much fun.

While you’ll get a certain amount for Work-Study it will be divided over two semesters. I chose not to work first semester and instead decided to focus on my grades, so I lost half of my Work-Study allotment, but you can still accept a job offer second semester. I had friends who did both work study and school and did great – so it’s possible to manage them both. When it comes to getting paid, you only make what your award grants. You don’t get that award PLUS hourly – that’s what I originally thought and that’s wrong. You get paid hourly, which ADDS UP to the Work-Study money.

Finally, the great thing about Work-Study is that they work around your schedule. This is something you won’t find most other places! This gives you a lot of flexibility and typically shorter shifts.

Other Campus Jobs:

If you don’t qualify for Work-Study, don’t get down and out. I have friends who weren’t qualified, and they still have campus jobs. Campus Dining Services is a great place to work because you also get cheap meals – something that you’ll adore come next year.
I suggest going to the career center and talking to your financial aid advisor again – remember they’ll be your BFF for four years!

Working Off-Campus:

To be blunt and completely biased in my own perspective, as a freshman I would not suggest working off campus for several reasons.

• You have to deal with the whole car situation, which can be more of a hassle than it’s actually worth
• You don’t get to hang out with campus kids as much. Of course you’ll see Tigers all over Columbia, but it does create some distance.
• Typically those jobs are harder to work around your schedule.

My bias being stated though, I do have friends that do it and make it work. Many companies will transfer you if you work at a national chain, which makes the transition easy. It is also nice for waiters and waitresses because those jobs simply aren’t available on campus. (There are nice restaurants downtown though that I’d suggest.)

Hours:

When it comes to figuring out how many hours you want to work I would make a general rule to cap it off at 15. Anything more than that just becomes too much. I work about 7-10, which is just enough to maintain spending money but not overload myself.

Alternative Solutions:

So lets say you want some way to reduce the amount of debt you’ll incur through student loans, but you’re not sure you want to work. A great solution is a job through Residential Life! (Keep in mind you won’t be eligible for these your freshman year, but it’s a great thing to keep in mind)

• Community Advisor (C.A.) – These staff members are in charge of the floor and overseeing resident conduct, floor functions, and other areas of interest. At other schools you’ll hear them referred to as Resident Assistants. C.A.s go on rounds (which mean checking to make sure everything is OK after quiet hours) a few times a month and are the go-to person for residents. These are generally in non-sponsored (FIG-less) areas.
• Peer Advisor (P.A.) – They do the same things as a C.A. but are also responsible for teaching a FIG class one hour, once a week.

These are very brief descriptions and there is a lot more to these jobs than just those paragraphs, but that provides the general idea.

For compensation, staff members receive free room and board (17 meal plan which can convert to EZ-Charge).

These opportunities aren’t for people who just want free room and board. It is a JOB and it is a time commitment. Typically student staff members should be very friendly and personable and engaging in the floor community.

I am currently applying to be a Residential Life staff member and the application process may seem a little intimidating at first. There will be informational meetings around December, which I suggest going to just to get a feel for the position. From there you fill out a simple application with a few essays. You then attend a group candidate class (4 sessions), which also entail homework assignments. The culmination of the process is with an interview with a Hall Coordinator (H.C.). While the spots are very competitive the process is something that you will walk away from with life skills no matter if you get the job or not. During your first year talk to your own P.A. and C.A. to determine if Res. Life staff is actually something for you. I’m mentioning it now so you can go into the school year thinking about it!

Ultimately, working is something that you should figure out with your parents. It’s not for everyone and you come to college for an education. Don’t try to do too much that you can’t handle the most important aspects. Always consider volunteering if working isn’t for you either. That’s a great way to stay involved and make a difference!

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Hello, I'm going to be a freshman at Mizzou next year and my dad sent me a link to your website in order to find more out about housing and just campus life in general. Thanks for your entries; they're very informative!

The only room left when I applied for housing was Gillett, which I had nothing against, but was afraid of switching during the semester.

Though, I do have a question for you, do you have personal e-mail that I could contact you on. I was wondering where exactly you found some of your scholarships, since I'm dealing with trying to get more money to pay for school, whether it was an online site or a place, in general, that usually warns of scholarships. I would appreciate the help...

Thanks,
Gabrielle.

Kelly! said...

Yeah definitely. You can just email my mizzou account which is KLGZ72@mizzou.edu

I'm going to be a CA in Gillett next year so it's a good choice!!! But, keep looking on ROAR as something else may open up!

Gary Barranco said...

hi i'm gary barranco an old friend of your mom. we were once very close (skinny dipping in l michigan) and i deeply care about karen. would you please pass along my email. bearlygoodmanners@yahoo.com all the best gary