Saturday, September 13, 2008

Game Day!


My high school was notoriously the worst in athletics for our entire district. We had seasons with 0-9 records and games that garnered just as few points. So when I came to Mizzou seeing more than one touchdown (from our team) per game was exciting!! To see them obliterate SEMO 52-3 was unbelievable.

Tiger's Lair at Mizzou is the student cheering section. We all get shirts and become this united mass of enthusiastic gold. Because Tiger's Lair is such a spirited group it's a fact that we get more T.V. time than regular fans! I was so committed to getting into this section that I waited three long hours to get tickets, but let me tell you, it was well worth it!


If you get there early, and I had friends who did, you can get front row seats. Not only do you get a great view, but you get to have your stomachs painted to spell out various words. Don't worry, if you're a girl you can still participate! The girls who live next to me showed up early and said they had a blast - they plan to keep doing it each week. (We'll see how long it lasts for this next game when kick off is at 11:30 a.m. opposed to 5:30 p.m!) 


Throughout the game though all 1,500 members of Tiger's Lair participate in chants, cheers, and songs! You get to know so many people this way, especially because everyone is having a good time. If you're forgetful, like myself, they do put the words on the screen - so fear not! I knew I was a part of the Mizzou Community when we sang our song, united. 

But lets say standing on your feet for hours on end in the student cheering section isn't your style. Might I offer the solution of Marching Mizzou or the Color Guard. More of a dancer? Try Golden Girls or the cheerleading squad. These are all opportunities to actually get involved with the game day festivities. With all of these activities you will get to go to away games as well. My friend Caitlin is in Marching Mizzou and loves it! She says that the daily practices are worth every minute because you're surrounded by fun people. Rachel, across the hall from me, does color guard and help choreograph their next routine - as a freshmen! 


But lets say those four options just aren't doing it for you. You're more of a quirky person who has great bodily expression. My suggestion: Truman the Tiger! That's right, the mascot. It's a chance to be loved by tens of thousands of people each weekend! I'll confess: it's my goal to be in the Truman the Tiger suit at least once before I graduate Mizzou. But it's not all fun and games (well for the most part it is). Truman has to hold his own weight, doing lots of push ups and each game. But if you've got the strength for 30 or so push ups in a giant tiger suit - that's your best bet!

Buy the season tickets, join Tiger's Lair, and invest in gaudy spirit wear - it's worth it!

See you at the game! 

-----

Oh, one final word of wisdom. Farot Field, our football stadium, is pronounced Fa-Row field - not Farrot field. If you were thinking it was Farrot Field, don't worry, you weren't alone; I made that mistake once before too! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good good good......

JR's Thumbprints said...

You'd never catch me in the Tiger's Lair; I'm a University of Michigan fan. Go Blue!

Good luck with that journalism major.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am sure your parents must feel good seeing what you are up to! My 3 children have all graduated from university. It would have been comforting to know what was going on in their lives at the time. Nice work.