Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let's Hit the Books

Ellis Library

Class (n): An event to be both enjoyed and fulfilling. 

Alright, so that isn't always the case. Not to burst your bubble, but for the last month I have not gotten up each day eager to rise for my 9 a.m. class. 75% of the time I do, but it would just be implausible for anyone to enjoy each and every day of school. 

That being said, I really do love my classes this semester! I'm taking 16 credit hours, which is the average recommended in order to graduate in four years. It may seem like a lot, but so far I've found it to be very manageable. Because I'm not in a FIG (freshmen interest group) the classes I have are all ones I selected. If you're on the fence about joining a FIG take into consideration that you have more flexibility if you opt out. However, there are some classes you may not be able to get into because they are reserved for certain FIGs. 

FIGs are set up so that freshmen of similar interests (professional, social, or undecided) can live together, while taking classes together. Students are required to take at least three classes together that are usually general education courses. What's nice about this is that you always have a study buddy close by, which is especially helpful when an exam comes around. I often see my dorm-mates heading out to class together, and they often grab meals afterwards. It's a guaranteed group of friends to sit with in large lectures! The FIG also includes a weekly proseminar, which basically entails getting to know your peers and participating in life planning activities. 

Personally, I decided against a FIG because I wanted the freedom to take other classes. While my friends are sharing notes on political science and biology, I've been studying up on my human development course, as well as environmental geology. I am in a Learning Community however. Much like a FIG, learning communities place you in residence halls that are filled with people also in your major. While you don't necessarily take the same courses, you still have the same career goals. 

Some students also came in with pre-earned credit. This can be from dual credit courses through your local community college, Advanced Placement Scores, and IB program tests. There are also foreign language and math placement exams which may earn you back credit. For students who exempted out of certain classes they have been able to take a lighter schedule. 

No matter how many credits you come in with though, you're still going to have to go to class! Studies show that attendance alone is one of the biggest factors of success for students. I refute this claim though. I've seen students show up to class, but sit like a bump on a log. Here's my friendly, but firm, advice: if you've made the effort to show up for class, make a little extra effort to jot down a few notes! 

If you're worried about the difference between high school and college don't be too afraid. Yes - there is more reading. Yes - lectures can be large and intimidating. But Yes - there are many outlets to help you succeed! It's all about time management. Budgeting the social and the academic. Once you master that, you're on your way to a good G.P.A! 

If you're still struggling though the student success center offers free tutoring in a variety of subjects. This can save hundreds of dollars, so don't overlook it. Also, if you have any type of disability - be it physical or developmental - don't be afraid to speak up! I'm a volunteer note taker in my 20th Century American History class. This means I give my notes to one of my fellow peers, who remains anonymous! Mizzou wants you to succeed and they will support you anyway they can. 

School is supposed to be fun, and for the large part, it is! Pick classes you're genuinely interested in, and in most cases they fill your requirements. You're paying for an education, and University of Missouri definitely makes sure you get a good one!

Here are a few helpful links:

No comments: